About The Hyndland Cafe
History, Heritage, Heart
The story of The Hyndland Cafe
Built between 1901 and 1910 by J. A. MacTaggarts & Co. who were responsible for developing the North-West corner of Hyndland as part of a development production of 300 Glasgow tenements, the original designs were submitted as far back as 1902 by Andrew Mickel architects under plan number 1/8953.
Originally a construction of 5 tenements of 2-4 bedrooms and kitchens with bathroom, the sunlit sloping awning on the corner of Clarence Drive belongs to the St. George Co-Operative Society – known today as the Drive Supermarket. The tram lines were installed down Clarence Drive in 1910 before Hyndland Secondary School was established in 1912 with the shops towards the top of Clarence Drive in 1926.
Through various incarnations, the presence of the café has been a pillar of the Hyndland community and under the stewardship of Stewart and Kim; it will continue to be so well into the future.
Serving 23 years as a submariner in the Royal Navy, Stewart’s retirement brought opportunity to work in a new environment whilst gaining plenty of family time with Kim and Maia.
With an ever-present interest in food (mainly WATCHING T.V. cookery programs!) Stewart is thoroughly enjoying working across all different aspects of the business and getting to know our customers over a coffee!
Front of House
Jane has been with us since 2017. She is currently studying English. She works front of house and is always quick with a smile.
Jane loves working with what she describes as ‘fabulous customers, team, fun and food.’